Dave Ramsey- Again???

Thursday, April 8, 2010
Okay- this time we are serious. It is time to make some big financial changes. I am tired of going on the budget, off the budget, on the budget, off the budget. This time, we are doing it, and I know Paxton is committed so I am trying to get 100% on board so we don't have a battle everyday! I thought of something this morning.... if we would have been living like we should have been living back when we were making very little money (financially.... instead of buying houses and cars that we didn't need) we could be easily able to be living the way live now without stress. BUT- we didn't- we made some bad decisions, and now, even with the pay increase we got when we moved here, we do not have the luxury to continue doing what we want when we feel like doing it until we take care of business. And it could all be so much worse.... we are so blessed.... but I think we laugh in the faces of our elders who warn us about the things we do thinking we know everything, and then you start to grow up and realize you don't know much at all. This is a private matter that I am making very not-private, but I think many people have done the same thing, and I don't think it is necessarily embarrassing, just reality, at least for us. I think it hard to live realistically and within your means, especially in our society. But I also think people are waking up to this, and that lots of people are making changes. I am making a pretty firm schedule for me and the kids that has organized playtime, learning time, etc.... so that we are not so tempted to mindlessly spend money on entertainment. I am going to take them to every playgroup session I can, every story time at the library I can, and Channing is not just going to get her daily sonic drink after school (that's just one example)-- we are going to cut back on that, and she is going to start doing some chores to earn those treats. Yesterday they got ice cream at Dairy Queen- which they do once or twice every week, she didn't say thank you, and even went so far as to throw a big fit when we got back in the car because she couldn't have a piece of candy. Part of it is being 4, but part of it is that she is just plain spoiled. And so many kids are. My dad said to jump, I said how high. I tell her to jump, and it is a list of 30 questions and at least 50 reasons why she can't. It is my own fault, but I need to teach her these lessons now, or we'll all be sorry later! Oh- my one big contribution to the budget this morning..... I saved $20.00/ month by eliminating HD channels, and then downgraded to the Dish "family plan".... some might argue that if I was REALLY SERIOUS I WOULD ELIMINATE CABLE ALL TOGETHER..... but seriously.... I haven't gotten that good yet, and it was a $30.00/ month savings! But the family programming.... not much to choose from.... but Paxton is fired up because we get the channel that has the "Smurfs". Oh- and by the way- I think I want another baby. Yes- I am brilliant.

2 comments:

The Whitt Family said...

I know exactly what you mean! We were doing so good on Dave Ramesy, and then bought a new house and a new car... without selling the other car first! Its hard, but I think so worth it once we are financially set... which honestly wont take long!

Tawny Hurst said...

same here- I told paxton we should be dramatic and be a 1 car family for a year- no comment. Whew- I'm glad because I don't think I can handle it!

Post a Comment